Can z/VM 5.2.0 IPL w/o a console
Raymond Noal
2006-03-01 20:23:21 UTC
Dear List,

My z/VM 5.1.0 system was able to IPL without any console available. This
was all done via the SYSTEM CONFIG file FEATURES statements. Our
processor (z/990) can and most likely is re-IML'ed several times a week
to accommodate various configurations for testing. Now with z/VM 5.2.0
VM refuses to IPL without some kind of console available. I'm using the
FEATURES AUTO_IPL WARM statement in my SSYSTEM CONFIG file.

Has this option been changed from 5.1 versus 5.2? Is any one else
IPL'ing 5.2 without any consoles available?

TIA
Raymond Noal
2006-03-02 20:48:15 UTC
Kris,

Yes I do have SYSTEM_CONSOLE specified in the SYSTEM CONFIG file.

As evidence -

/**********************************************************************/

/* Features Statement */

/**********************************************************************/

Features ,

Auto_IPL WARM ,

Auto_IPL_AFTER_RESTART WARM ,

Auto_IPL_AFTER_SHUTDOWN_REIPL WARM ,

/**********************************************************************/

/* Console Definitions */

/**********************************************************************/

Operator_Consoles 0020 0021 0022 0023 ,

0040 0041 0042 0043 ,

System_3270 System_Console

Emergency_Message_Consoles 0020 0021 0022 0023 ,

0040 0041 0042 0043 ,

System_Console

These statements were copied from my z/VM 5.1.0 system which would IPL
without any console (other than System_Console) available. The z/VM
5.2.0 system (RSU 0501) will not IPL at all nor display any messages on
the HMC's Operating System Message Panel. No indication of a wait state
or any other error condition is given. What I am doing for now is using
the Integrated 3270 feature (SYSG) on the HMC to IPL 5.2. It's been a
life saver.

It looks like its PMR time to me? What say ye??

HITACHI
DATA SYSTEMS

Raymond E. Noal
Lab Manager, San Diego Facility
Office: (858) 537 - 3268
Cell: (858) 248 - 1172
Ronald van der Laan
2006-03-03 09:01:55 UTC
Post by Raymond Noal
Features ,
Auto_IPL WARM ,
Auto_IPL_AFTER_RESTART WARM ,
Auto_IPL_AFTER_SHUTDOWN_REIPL WARM ,
Raymond,
Do you also have the "Enable Auto_warm_IPL" set in the Features section?

Features ,
Auto_IPL WARM ,
Auto_IPL_AFTER_RESTART WARM ,
Auto_IPL_AFTER_SHUTDOWN_REIPL WARM ,
Enable ,
Auto_warm_IPL

Ronald van der Laan
Raymond Noal
2006-03-03 18:54:27 UTC
Ronald,

Yes, I did try adding the 'Auto_Warm_IPL' statement as part of the
'Enable' section of Features. But, when you run a CPSYNTAX against it
the statement it comes up in error. Apparently you can not have the
three 'Auto' statements as part of features and have the 'Auto_Warm_IPL'
as part of the Enable clauses.

I thank you for your response.

Ronald van der Laan
Ranga Nathan