ZVM 5.2, Z890, and I/O
David Kreuter
2006-03-06 21:29:44 UTC
without any other workload analysis: 6g central 2g xstore.
on a z/9 we have not experienced or noticed >2g i/o issues.

David

2006-03-06 22:36:58 UTC
First, you don't have 8 GB. You will loose at least 768 MB for
microcode etc.

Second, how many LPARs?

Third, in each LPAR, you need to determine what operating system you
will run.

Fourth, if you are running VM, how much central and how much xstore you
need.

Fifth, bug management on buying another 8 GB (rumor has it that
storage is running about half price now a days). The Z8, replacement
for the Z890, may have 16 GB increments. (Is it April yet?)

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

_______________________
Jim Elliott
2006-03-07 07:47:29 UTC
> Is there a problem with ZVM 5.2 and a Z890 when doing I/O over
> the 2 gig line?

With z/VM V5.2 there is effectively no 2GB line issue.

> We are probably getting a Z890 with 8 gig of main storage. Any
> suggestions for carving up the main storage(xstore, cache,
> etc.)

Once you take away the HSA (somewhere between 768M and 1GB!), split
it up 25% xstore, 75% cstore. "Your mileage may vary."

Jim