VM/ESA 2.4 under z/VM 5.x
Dan Andrada
2006-03-13 19:50:56 UTC
Hello Listers!

Just wanted to find out if anyone has been able to run VM/ESA 2.4 as a
guest under z/VM 5.x - any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Alan Ackerman
2006-03-15 04:51:11 UTC
I hope you can find someone who has tried it.

We haven't tried it. It certainly isn't supported. What hardware are you planning to run on? VM
does not virtualize everything (in fact, cannot). z/VM 5.x is supported only on zSeries and System
z9. VM/ESA 2.4.0 does not (officially) run on a z9.

It might work, especially if you aren't using anything that is hardware dependent. (For example,
370 guests will NOT work.)

The last release of VM I can find that was listed (in the GI manual) as supporting VM/ESA 2.4.0
guests is z/VM 4.3.0. The GI manual includes the caveat:

"In general, an operating system, version, or release is supported as a guest of
VM only on hardware (processors, DASD, and other devices) for which support
has been announced for that operating system, version, or release to run native,
in an LPAR, or as a guest of VM."

=============
Adam Thornton
2006-03-15 05:17:59 UTC
On Mar 14, 2006, at 10:51 PM, Alan Ackerman wrote:

> I hope you can find someone who has tried it.
>
> We haven't tried it. It certainly isn't supported. What hardware
> are you
> planning to run on? VM
> does not virtualize everything (in fact, cannot). z/VM 5.x is
> supported o
> nly on zSeries and System
> z9. VM/ESA 2.4.0 does not (officially) run on a z9.

You could certainly run it under Hercules under z/Linux, although
there are probably licensing issues, since presumably VM/ESA 2.4 is
not licensed to *that* processor.

Adam
Mark D Vandale
2006-03-15 13:16:05 UTC
We had a VM/ESA 2.4 system running as a guest under z/VM 5.1on a z800 &
z890. No problems.

Thanks,
Mark Vandale

MCS z/VM Team Lead
Office: (860) 823-2756
Cell: (860) 705-1657
CSC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for such purpose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan Ackerman
<***@B
ANKOFAMERICA.COM> To
Sent by: VM/ESA VMESA-***@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
and z/VM cc
Discussions
<VMESA-***@LISTSERV Subject
.UARK.EDU> Re: VM/ESA 2.4 under z/VM 5.x

03/14/2006 11:51
PM

Please respond to
VM/ESA and z/VM
Discussions
<VMESA-***@LISTSERV
.UARK.EDU>

=============
O'Brien, Dennis L
2006-03-15 17:49:51 UTC
Although this doesn't answer the original poster's question, I think
Mike made an error. You can IPL z/VM 3.1.0 or 4.x under VM/ESA, because
those z/VM releases can still run in 31-bit mode. z/VM 5.x cannot run
as a guest of VM/ESA.

Dennis

"Bad facts make bad laws." -- Frank Zappa, at the PMRC hearings

________________________________

2006-03-15 18:25:07 UTC
On Mar 15, 2006, at 11:16 AM, Mike Walter wrote:
> The architecture for z/VM 510 does not have anything specific to
> prevent the IPL of a VM/ESA system. Now going the other way --
> trying to IPL a 64-bit z/VM anything under VM/ESA will *not* work,
> since VM/ESA does not support the 64-bit addressing required by
> zArchitecture.

From the Ludicrous Emulation Office, you could always run Linux on
your VM/ESA system, run Hercules emulating a z/Series box, and run z/
VM there. If you have licenses for 2.4 and z/VM 5.1 on the same
hardware, which might be tricky.

I have here a snapshot, from back when our H70 ran z/VM 4.3. It's a
31-bit system, I'm running 31-bit z/Linux, and inside that I'm
running Hercules, inside of which I'm running z/VM 4.3 in 64-bit
mode. (It is my belief that this is legal, as I'm running 4.3 on the
processor it's licensed to, and there is no limitation I'm aware of
in our licensing agreement restricting what the intervening virtual
machine layers can be--note that this would NOT be legal with an ADCD
(did I get that name right?) license, since that *does* restrict what
you can run it on.)

http://www.fsf.net/~adam/z900-on-S390-Desktop.png

The answer to the question, "do I want to do this?" is a resounding
NO. This burns UNBELIEVABLE amounts of CPU, and the 64-bit system
runs too slowly to be useful for anything. But it sure does look cool.

Adam
Tom Duerbusch
2006-03-15 19:11:52 UTC
One other tangent to this question.

Can the older system run on a z/890 system? I.E. with the dual channel
sets?

If it can, then it should be able to run under z/VM 5.1.
If not, then it can't.
z/VM 5.1 runs 31 bit operating systems just fine. Just look at VSE.
But, even when running under z/VM, the VSE systems had to have the dual
channel set support. There is a very raw PTF for VSE systems prior to
VSE/ESA 2.5 (which was the first to tollerate the dual channel sets) to
allow it to run on the newer hardware.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

strictly prohibited.
Dan Andrada
2006-03-15 19:44:28 UTC
Thanks for the input everyone!

We're looking at getting off our 9221 box running VM/ESA 2.4 and VSE/ESA
2.6.3. We have merely two VSE guest machines and just a handful of
programmers that use CMS for developemnt purposes. No Linux, no production
VM guest machines other than the VSE guests. In our shop, VM is merely
a "hyper-visor" for our VSE guests. However, our programming staff does
not want to lose the various EXEC's they use in CMS and XEDIT.

We have a proposal to move to a z/890 processor to run z/VM and z/VSE to
stay in support. To ease our migration, I would like to bring up VM/ESA
2.4 as a second-level guest along with one or both of the VSE guests under
that, and progress from there. Even at the entry level configuration of a
z/890, its processing capacity is easily twice that of our current 9221
utilization, so I don't think I need to be too concerned about processing
overhead.

I've asked IBM about this and I've not been given a definitive answer. The
latest FAQ that IBM has provided on their z/VM site states that z/VM will
run VSE/ESA and VM/ESA as guests. The "Tell-All" for me would be to find
out if anyone has attempted or done this kind of migration.

So with that said, if anyone has any further information or experience in
doing a migration of this type, I would be very grateful for your input.

Thanks again!
David Kreuter
2006-03-15 21:47:50 UTC
Hi Dan: Although you will have a great boost in performance power be
careful about the performance expectations of your 3rd level VSE
guests. Each time the VSE guest is dispatched you will be running a
"SIE under SIE" (virtual machines are always dispatched in processing
mode known as emulation mode - the instruction that places a CPU in
emulation mode is Start Interpretive Execution). In long gone releases
and hardware left by the curb this killed performance. Strides have been
made in this area but a 3rd level production dispatch - better measure
it carefully.

I have not done this on z boxes - so it may be tolerable. Best of luck
and let us on the list know how it goes.
What type of CPU usage do you have today?
David Kreuter